bladox.com Forum Index bladox.com
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developing New App for SIM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saffron_operator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Developing New App for SIM Reply with quote

Greetings List,

First, I must say that you guys are doing a great job and the stuff on this website has been a great learning for me. Honestly speaking, I am a beginner and was looking around on the internet for SIM related programming. Some websites talked about Java Card and a few others assumed the reader has prior knowledge on certain stuff and others were too proprietary in nature.

I want to write an application on the SIM (a web client). I had no idea how to start. However after going through this website, it looks like I might get some directions and since I am a big fan of open-source, this looks to be my stop. Smile

Today I have a few questions for you folks;

1) how will I know if the SIM from my mobile phone company is writeable. Are all SIMs writeable?

2) assuming that the SIM is writeable and has some free memory in it, writing an application would mean, having an Operating system already loaded on it with TCP/IP stack. Am I correct in my assumption in this? I need experts to comment on it. I would need an OS with a TCP/IP stack because web client is an HTTP protocol app. It requires TCP/IP.

3) Okie, if you guys think this is doable, will this be legal?

4) How do I start? I have read, almost all the posts on this list and answers to the questions. Need specifics. Am not quite clear on how Turbo/GNU tool set should be used to proceed.

Thanx in advance,

Gracias,
The_Saffron_Operator
pz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Developing New App for SIM Reply with quote

saffron_operator wrote:
Greetings List,

First, I must say that you guys are doing a great job and the stuff on this website has been a great learning for me. Honestly speaking, I am a beginner and was looking around on the internet for SIM related programming. Some websites talked about Java Card and a few others assumed the reader has prior knowledge on certain stuff and others were too proprietary in nature.

Thank you for the longest message in the list Smile

Quote:

I want to write an application on the SIM (a web client). I had no idea how to start. However after going through this website, it looks like I might get some directions and since I am a big fan of open-source, this looks to be my stop. Smile

Hope it will be helpful.

Quote:

Today I have a few questions for you folks;

1) how will I know if the SIM from my mobile phone company is writeable. Are all SIMs writeable?

Unfortunately no SIMs are writable. Operators and their SIM suppliers lock their SIM cards, sometimes even fill the free space with trash just to be sure against possible attacks. Welcome to the closed NDA world.

This was the reason we developed Turbo.

Quote:

2) assuming that the SIM is writeable and has some free memory in it, writing an application would mean, having an Operating system already loaded on it with TCP/IP stack. Am I correct in my assumption in this? I need experts to comment on it. I would need an OS with a TCP/IP stack because web client is an HTTP protocol app. It requires TCP/IP.

The question is not SIM but the ME - mobile phone. SIM just asks "OPEN CHANNEL", use UDP/TCP, port, IP, etc. Some new siemenses and panasonics support networking.

Quote:

3) Okie, if you guys think this is doable, will this be legal?

Yes, but hacking SIM might violate some fine print with your operator.

Quote:

4) How do I start? I have read, almost all the posts on this list and answers to the questions. Need specifics. Am not quite clear on how Turbo/GNU tool set should be used to proceed.

You develop the SIM Toolkit application in C for Turbo with the open source GNU tools. Then if you wanted to port the application to given SIM it is quite straightforward.

Saludos,
P.

Quote:

Thanx in advance,

Gracias,
The_Saffron_Operator
saffron_operator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Follow up doubts for network app Reply with quote

Thanx for the insight. Your answers have lead me to a few quick questions now. I know this might be quite a fundamental thing for here to discuss but the answers would definitely be very helpful for my project.

1. Do you mean that turbo has an inbuilt OS with TCP/IP stack support so that I can write a network application on it ? You suggest that I write this network application and then transfer it to a SIM. What if the SIM doesn't carry an OS with TCP/IP stack for it?

2. What all do I need to buy or download to start? Will I need the programmer hardware for this specific requirement application?

3. How will I do the testing? Where will I get test SIMs from? Do the bladox folks or the form members recommend something in particular..

Gracias,
The_Saffron_Operator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bladox.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: