bladox.com Forum Index bladox.com
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developing New Apps for SIM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saffron_operator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Developing New Apps for SIM Reply with quote

Greetings List,

First, I must say that you guys are doing a great job and the stuff on this website has been a great learning for me. Honestly speaking, I am a beginner and was looking around on the internet for SIM related programming. Some websites talked about Java Card and a few others assumed the reader has prior knowledge on certain stuff and others were too proprietary in nature.

I want to write an application on the SIM (a web client). I had no idea how to start. However after going through this website, it looks like I might get some directions and since I am a big fan of open-source, this looks to be my stop. Smile

Today I have a few questions for you folks;

1) how will I know if the SIM from my mobile phone company is writeable. Are all SIMs writeable?

2) assuming that the SIM is writeable and has some free memory in it, writing an application would mean, having an Operating system already loaded on it with TCP/IP stack. Am I correct in my assumption in this? I need experts to comment on it. I would need an OS with a TCP/IP stack because web client is an HTTP protocol app. It requires TCP/IP.

3) Okie, if you guys think this is doable, will this be legal?

4) How do I start? I have read, almost all the posts on this list and answers to the questions. Need specifics. Am not quite clear on how Turbo/GNU tool set should be used to proceed.

Thanx in advance,

Gracias,
The_Saffron_Operator
bsay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: A late reply Reply with quote

Hello,

I do not know if this is an answer that came too late, but better late than none, methinks..

First of all, in order to load a SIM Toolkit applet into a SIM card, you need keys (which are multiple 128-bit keys) for Applet Manager of the card. No operator would share these keys for a card registered to their network. Ever. Period. (There are many valid reasonds for this)

So you can forget about testing your applet directly on a live SIM card. Forget it. What you can do is, write your applet for Turbo and run it there. It will be a C code instead of Java, but you can bypass all the restrictions that not having the applet manager keys will put on you.

Secondly, you will not have a full TCP/IP stack at your disposal when writing STK applet. Neither multiple threads. Check what you have from JavaCard Specification ([url]java.sun.com[/url]) and 3GPP TS 11.14 (download the latest from http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/

You can go with GPRS or SMS as your data carrier.

Have no experience on Turbo coding, cannot help there.
Good luck
pz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A late reply Reply with quote

bsay wrote:
Hello,

I do not know if this is an answer that came too late, but better late than none, methinks..

First of all, in order to load a SIM Toolkit applet into a SIM card, you need keys (which are multiple 128-bit keys) for Applet Manager of the card. No operator would share these keys for a card registered to their network. Ever. Period. (There are many valid reasonds for this)

So you can forget about testing your applet directly on a live SIM card. Forget it. What you can do is, write your applet for Turbo and run it there. It will be a C code instead of Java, but you can bypass all the restrictions that not having the applet manager keys will put on you.

You can test your javacard sim app with turbo with faksim app. It means that turbo does network registration and you still has access to your applet.

Of course you need to have IMSI/Ki but there are still cards that can be used to obtain it from.

Quote:

Secondly, you will not have a full TCP/IP stack at your disposal when writing STK applet. Neither multiple

Depends what you call "full TCP/IP stack". You can open tcp socket on some phones.

Quote:

threads. Check what you have from JavaCard

If you mean multiple stk threads then you can have them, the question is support by given ME used. In turbo you can have running thread (FETCH/TERMINAL RESPONSE) and if there comes EVENT (or you start new thread as reaction on some APDU) turbo will wait until TEMRINAL RESPONSE for running trhead is received. This is to be safe and work on all phones. Turbo also allows you to supress this queueing and request FETCH immediately.

Quote:

Specification ([url]java.sun.com[/url]) and 3GPP TS 11.14 (download the latest from http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/

You can go with GPRS or SMS as your data carrier.

Have no experience on Turbo coding, cannot help there.
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bladox.com Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: