bladox.com Forum Index bladox.com
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serial interface

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asciz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Serial interface Reply with quote

Hi List,

I am trying to work out how I can get the Turbo to provide a serial interface (RS232) that a PC with e.g. Hyperterminal could connect to. My skills in this field are a bit limited, so thankful for any advice or suggestions where to look.

1) Is it feasible?

2) Could this be done with e.g. Turbo Lite as it is, or would extra hardware be required?

3) Does anyone know of an example solution for this (software/hardware)?

Thanks in advance!
pz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Serial interface Reply with quote

asciz wrote:
Hi List,

I am trying to work out how I can get the Turbo to provide a serial interface (RS232) that a PC with e.g. Hyperterminal could connect to. My skills in this field are a bit limited, so thankful for any advice or suggestions where to look.

1) Is it feasible?

We are going to have new turbo with rs232, esp. for gps.

Anyway if you want just to connect pc you can use the serail cable and use something similar to cable-utils, i.e. use AT commands for SMS. You need only use some header for your app on turbo.

Quote:

2) Could this be done with e.g. Turbo Lite as it is, or would extra hardware be required?

Lite has only i2c, not rs232. The new hardware will have extra mcu just for this.

Quote:

3) Does anyone know of an example solution for this (software/hardware)?

Thanks in advance!

We have a prototype board but the new hwd will be out soon. As for cable-utils like solution that quite easy.
Doc13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in need for serial communication but for Turbo Adapter, not Lite. It seems that at the connector neither USART0 nor USART1 are available. (not sure with USART0 however because of the pins PDI/PDO).

Is there any way to get at least one of the USARTs running at the Turbo Adatpter - via SAMTEC connector or not?

If not what would you suggest?

Also, is there an recommended optocoupler IC to be used for serial comm in this context?

Thx!

P.S. The application I'm developing is too complex for direct integration into Turbo. Thats way I'm using a second ATmega and want to communicate between them via serial interface. That way even debugging is more easy (by PC not ME)
pz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc13 wrote:
I'm also in need for serial communication but for Turbo Adapter, not Lite. It seems that at the connector neither USART0 nor USART1 are available. (not sure with USART0 however because of the pins PDI/PDO).

Is there any way to get at least one of the USARTs running at the Turbo Adatpter - via SAMTEC connector or not?

No, both usarts are used, one for SIM, second one for ME.

Quote:

If not what would you suggest?

Use i2c or SPI, these are the best for mcu<->mcu communcation.

Quote:

Also, is there an recommended optocoupler IC to be used for serial comm in this context?

Any low current.

Quote:

Thx!

P.S. The application I'm developing is too complex for direct integration into Turbo. Thats way I'm using a second ATmega and want to communicate between them via serial interface. That way even debugging is more easy (by PC not ME)

Imagine beowulf cluster of these Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bladox.com Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: