bladox.com Forum Index bladox.com
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A newbie question about SIM toolkit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: A newbie question about SIM toolkit Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have two basic questions about STK.

(1) I think SIM toolkit is API like java sdk or MS windows sdk but i don't see any release API!?. Or the SIM toolkit is just a specification about specifying the communication between the SIM and ME?

(2) If i want to develop a software program in the phone and it can do the same thing (Profile download, proactive SIM....) just like the default build-in program in phone. How can i start?? Can i use the Microsoft EVC or PlatformBuilder to do this??
------------------------------------
Thanks for all of your suggestion and please correct me if i am wrong! Very Happy
pz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: A newbie question about SIM toolkit Reply with quote

ginee wrote:
Hi all,
I have two basic questions about STK.

(1) I think SIM toolkit is API like java sdk or MS windows sdk but i don't see any release API!?. Or the SIM toolkit is just a specification about specifying the communication between the SIM and ME?

As you write the SIM Toolkit is just a (extension to) specification of SIM and ME protocol. SIM sends commands and ME them somehow processes.
The question is the application running on SIM. It can be running in JCRE and written in Java(Card) or it can be
something vendor specific. Or it can be our API, see the devel documentation.

But always the API is just a wrapper to protocol.

Quote:

(2) If i want to develop a software program in the phone and it can do the same thing (Profile download, proactive SIM....) just like the default build-in program in phone. How can i start?? Can i use the Microsoft EVC or PlatformBuilder to do this??
------------------------------------
Thanks for all of your suggestion and please correct me if i am wrong! Very Happy

In case of JavaCard use the SUN tools (emulator). The point is how to upload your application to the card. You can buy (javacard) smartcard with GSM/STK stack and play with that.
In case of Turbo you have gcc compiler and binutils, just use your favourite editor to write the code, build and upload to turbo/mobile phone via cable or use programmer.
All necessary is avaiable for free download on our site.

Pavel[/quote]
ginee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: A newbie question about SIM toolkit Reply with quote

pz wrote:

As you write the SIM Toolkit is just a (extension to) specification of SIM and ME protocol. SIM sends commands and ME them somehow processes.
The question is the application running on SIM. It can be running in JCRE and written in Java(Card) or it can be
something vendor specific. Or it can be our API, see the devel documentation.

But always the API is just a wrapper to protocol.
[/qutoe]

[qutoe]
In case of JavaCard use the SUN tools (emulator). The point is how to upload your application to the card. You can buy (javacard) smartcard with GSM/STK stack and play with that.
In case of Turbo you have gcc compiler and binutils, just use your favourite editor to write the code, build and upload to turbo/mobile phone via cable or use programmer.
All necessary is avaiable for free download on our site.

Pavel

That is SIM ToolKit is jsut like TCP, programer can use winsock or java.net package to develop their own server side or client side program.
And client and server communicate each other using TCP just like ME and SIM using SIM ToolKit. Is this right??
Why is GSM 11.14 just called "SIM protocal"? SIM "ToolKit" let me think it provide a API lib and i can call these API to do something. This is just a tattle~~ Wink

Actually, i am more concerned for the phone aspect. How can i build a program or routine to communicate with applicatoin in SIM card. In SIM
Toolkit specification, the proactive SIM command "SET UP MENU". It says the presentation style of the menu is left as an implementation to ME manufacturer. That is what i want to do, but i have no idea now!!

Deeply appreciate your answer, thanks!!
pz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A newbie question about SIM toolkit Reply with quote

ginee wrote:

That is SIM ToolKit is jsut like TCP, programer can use winsock or java.net package to develop their own server side or client side program.
And client and server communicate each other using TCP just like ME and SIM using SIM ToolKit. Is this right??
Why is GSM 11.14 just called "SIM protocal"? SIM "ToolKit" let me think it provide a API lib and i can call these API to do something. This is just a tattle~~ Wink

Hmm, it depends how broad definition of protocol you use. It simply is set of commands SIM sends to ME, like DISPLAY TEXT to show something on display, SEND MS to send message, etc. and ME responds OK, message send and so.

SIM is client, ME is server (serves SIM requests). You program just the client, server is implemeted by vendor.

Please look at
http://www.bladox.com/devel-docs/gen_stk.html

Quote:

Actually, i am more concerned for the phone aspect. How can i build a program or routine to communicate with applicatoin in SIM card. In SIM
Toolkit specification, the proactive SIM command "SET UP MENU". It says the presentation style of the menu is left as an implementation to ME manufacturer. That is what i want to do, but i have no idea now!!

Deeply appreciate your answer, thanks!!

You do NOT care about ME side. This is what they mean by "presentation style is left to ME manufacturer".
You do not program the ME side at all, it is up to ME how it will present e.g. DISPLAY TEXT to user to be consistent with the ME user interface.

In your example "SET UP MENU" it means that you do not control where in the interface it will be placed, its color and so.

You/SIM just says set up menu and menu will be offered to user. That's it.
ginee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: A newbie question about SIM toolkit Reply with quote

pz wrote:

Hmm, it depends how broad definition of protocol you use. It simply is set of commands SIM sends to ME, like DISPLAY TEXT to show something on display, SEND MS to send message, etc. and ME responds OK, message send and so.

SIM is client, ME is server (serves SIM requests). You program just the client, server is implemeted by vendor.

Please look at
http://www.bladox.com/devel-docs/gen_stk.html

You do NOT care about ME side. This is what they mean by "presentation style is left to ME manufacturer".
You do not program the ME side at all, it is up to ME how it will present e.g. DISPLAY TEXT to user to be consistent with the ME user interface.

In your example "SET UP MENU" it means that you do not control where in the interface it will be placed, its color and so.

You/SIM just says set up menu and menu will be offered to user. That's it.

Hi,
Actually, i want to know the ME side programming. How does ME side work with SIM card? How do i develop a ME side program? Maybe it is not a Application Level programming, i don't know~! Anyway, Thank you for give me a lesson, and please tell me if you have any idea.
oaza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ME side apps you can use on some phones java (j2me) or in case of symbian phones c++.
But you can't access sim from java nor symbian. The advantage of sim toolkit application is that it doesn't matter which phone you have as it works on any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bladox.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: