bladox.com Forum Index bladox.com
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Support for JavaCard or other Java-based devevelopment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Support for JavaCard or other Java-based devevelopment Reply with quote

Its been asked already some time ago if Turbo can/will support JavaCard or any other Java-based programming. So, I wonder if there are any progress or updates in such area?

By the way, there is a very compact VM implementation for Atmel AVR ATmega8 CPU. Maybe it is possible to port it to Turbo.
http://www.harbaum.org/till/nanovm/
pz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there seems to be almost none interest in Java(Card) on Turbo. But the vm you posted is interesting and should be easy to port. Unfortunatelly the code will be very limited. It could be linked to vm and stored in FLASH (not eeprom as in this vm) but the real issue is java vs. RAM usage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the RAM and FLASH memory available on Turbo, Turbo-Lite and Turbo SIM?

I guess if you'll get Java support (J2ME or JavaCard for custom applets) there will be demend. I'm seeing number of requests how custom SIM applets could be deployed on the real phones. In any rate there are better tool for Java/JavaCard development (e.g. IBM's JCOP).
pz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
What is the RAM and FLASH memory available on Turbo, Turbo-Lite and Turbo SIM?

About 35KB FLASH, 1.5KB RAM for user apps. All devices are the same.

Quote:

I guess if you'll get Java support (J2ME or JavaCard for custom applets) there will be demend. I'm seeing number of requests how custom SIM
applets could be deployed on the real phones. In any rate there are better

Yes, we know because these developers usually come to us and port they apps to Turbo SIM Smile They want to deploy applications, not applets.

Quote:

tool for Java/JavaCard development (e.g. IBM's JCOP).

Mmm, better than what? If you mean Turbo then no way, from technology perspective (what you can do with what resources), development perspective (ease of development, openness, debugging), ability to use the application in real life (what is it good for to have JC app you cannot deploy/use) and overall cost Turbo is unbeatable.

But that doesn't mean we will not take a look at the vm posted in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bladox.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: