bladox.com Forum Index bladox.com
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISP Programming (read Debugging with Breakpoints)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeregrineFalcon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: ISP Programming (read Debugging with Breakpoints) Reply with quote

I would like to debug some applications using the AVR JTAGmkII.

I reviewed the Product sheet for the BXTOP45P Bladox board and see the pin-out information. Is this possible with the BXTOP45P?

I would like to be able to use AVaRICE similar to what is described here.

Any help in this effort would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-PF
PeregrineFalcon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I believe I know what I need to do, but still would like guidance on how to proceed, and if my assumptions are correct.

Again, my goal is to perform debugging using hardware breakpoints. At first I thought this could be accomplished with either Atmels debugWire or Bladox's ISP interface. Upon further research it appears this is not possible in the current configuration.

Research into the ATmega128 chip indicates that in order to enable JTAG debugging I need to modify the Fuse bits. Bladox provides tools for this, but users should be cautious.

For example. one could read the fuse (lock, info, calibration) bytes from the Bladox components using 'urdfu' which comes with the turbo-prog-utils. One could also write the fuse hi,low, extended bytes with tools like uwrf[h,l,e], but per the Atmel documentation this requires first changing the lock byte (specifically bit 0 of the Lock Bit Byte).

In order to do this (again per the Atmel documentation) requires performing the "Chip Erase Command". Once again BLADOX to the rescue (since I was thinking I would have to write the program to accomplish this), however, BLADOX warns against this, as it may make the device unusable and require a re-flashing by BLADOX.

Therefore, I'm at the point where I want to perform these set of operations in order to turn on JTAG debugging to use with my Atmel JTAG mkII, but I want to make sure I follow 'semi-official' BLADOX procedures. Could someone chime in on the best way to accomplish this?

Hopefully, my summary of what I learned above will serve useful to others using the BLADOX product (which is quite a good package).

Thanks,
-PF
pz

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't. You erase the firmware and that's it, device will not work.

If you want to debug your code use dbc(), dbch(), dbi(), dbsp() etc calls and "dbg" utility. JTAG is not allowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bladox.com Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: