Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter device is a mobile phone accessory - simple add-on containing microcontroller (MCU) ATmega128 produced by Atmel and optionally other peripherals: I/O ports, memory card, accelerometer, 802.15.4 radio, etc.
Connected to the mobile equipment (ME) and SIM Turbo interferes ME<->SIM communication giving user access to SIM Toolkit (STK) applications developed independently on mobile operators and equipment vendors.
Turbo is a middleman between ME (phone) and SIM
Compared to other application platforms available (WAP, Java, Symbian, etc.) SIM Toolkit is the most widespread technology (all phones since december 1999), probably the most used (due the popularity of GSM banking) and for sure the least hyped way to bring applications to the end user.
SIM Toolkit gives developer access to low level mobile equipment functionality.
- call control, call routing
- payment systems, proximity payment and marketing
- location application, location triggers and logs
- secure encrypted messages for private communication
- PKI applications (example implementing eliptic curves)
- SIM emulation, fake SIM
- hidden SMS not visible on the phone
- SMS client-server browsing
- SMS archive, many messages on removable memory cards
- secrets - encrypted store for passwords, PINs, etc.
- documents reader
- contacts - user database (more phone numbers, addresses, emails, notes,...)
- scientific calculator
- interactive fiction and logic games
- memory card browser
- timer applications
- Many of mentioned applications are available as free, open source examples provided by BLADOX.
- alarm applications, dual axis accelerometer for movement/tilt detection
- 802.15.4 2.4GHz radio for home automation, sensor networks control, payment systems and marketing
- measurement, various sensors (thermo, water, alarms, etc.) can be easily connected
- control and regulation, e.g. lights, heating connected to hardware ports
- platform for 3rd party devices - GPS, wireless
On the software side Turbo consists of operating system (kernel) developed by BLADOX, applications (BLADOX or 3rd party) and development tools (the free, open source GNU Tool Chain).
- Atmel AVR ATmega 128 MCU, excelent documentation and open source support
- the core (without memory card) is compatible with both 3 and 5V mobile equipment
- hardware ports (AD, parallel) and interfaces (I2C) available on the mainboard for developers
- low power consumption
- open, open, open but not open source (yet) multithreaded OS
- relocable application format, built-in application linker
- miniature application memory footprint (hello world 98 bytes long)
- RAM and EEPROM memory management
- API for SIM Toolkit commands
- API for GSM commands - almost full SIM emulation (full emulation in future)
- API for SMS handling, SMS server with access rights
- strong focus on security - 128bit twofish cypher (AES candidate), pseudorandom number generator using mobile network for seeding
- protected flash memory in bootloader area
- file system optimized for small files (SMS size)
- file system encryption
- application upload by serial cable (if neccessary AT commands supported by ME)
- action (=event) driven application concept
- support for internationalization
- idle task operation
- boot loader with upgradable firmware
- BLADOX Radio Architecture - 802.15.4 compatible communication layer
Turbo SIM Toolkit Adapter Family consists of following devices:
- unique and open way of SIM Toolkit application development and deployment independent on mobile operators and equipment vendors
- C and assembler (C++ future possibility)
- excellent free software development GNU tools - GCC and binutils http://www.fsf.org
- libc based on the excellent open source AVR Libc http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc/
- many AVR projects, libraries and code available on the Internet
Turbo SIM is pure STK device, no I/O
Turbo SIM is inserted into the mobile phone in parallel with operator SIM, only small piece of SIM card plastic is cut off. SIM card remains still perfectly usable without Turbo SIM.
Turbo Mini is inserted into the mobile phone in parallel with operator SIM, compared to Turbo SIM MCU is on flexible tail, thin only 1.1mm, no SIM cutting is needed. Fits into almost all phones.
First Turbo device developed, mother of all Turbo's.
Turbo Adapter has MMC connector for optional memory card
Turbo with memory card - top side
Turbo Adapter has MMC connector for optional DataFlash memory card - simple serial flash memory in MMC format produced by Atmel.
Turbo Adapter has 50 PIN Card Edge Connector and can be used for application and SIM-ME communication debugging.
Turbo Lite has 13 universal ports
Turbo Lite has P1-13 Lite Ports, cannot be used for application debugging.
Turbo Motion is Turbo Lite with dual axis accelerometer
Same board as Turbo Lite but with dual axis accelerometer for motion and tilt detection. Used in Auto Alarm package.
Turbo Lite 2 has 2+2 optoisolated I/O and many other ports
Turbo Lite 2 is a king of ports - has 50 PIN Card Edge Connector, P1-13 Lite Ports and Optoisolated I/O. Can be used for application and ME-SIM communication debugging. Optional memory connector can be mounted on bottom side.
Turbo Lite 2
Turbo Motion 2 is the same board as Turbo Lite 2 with some extra components on. There is a 2nd MCU Atmega168 (we call it baby) with connected dual axis accelerometer and doing Serial RS232. Baby has own clocks and can be running even if main MCU sleeps (has no clocks from phone), it means it can handle/buffer device connected to RS232 (e.g. GPS) and also measure acceleration more often to detect finer movements.
Turbo Motion 2 has 2nd Baby MCU Atmega168
Developer has full control over baby - can upload own firmware. There is http://www.bladox.com/pub/babyloader-1.0.7.tar.gz utility for this. Provided baby kernel does RS232, GPS NMEA parsing and accelerometer measurement.
Turbo BRA contains 2.4GHz 802.15.4 radio
Turbo BRA is the newest and technologically most advanced device. Equipped with 802.15.4 2.4GHz radio (CC2420 Radio Datasheet) and build on flexible material it is only 1.1mm thin and smaller than 2 SIM cards. Turbo BRA fits into most mobile phones.
Turbo BRA without cover
|Copyright © 2004-2006 BLADOX
Turbo version 1.2